This article is part of a larger series on VoIP.
Remote access software helps your team assist customers or employees from far away. Whether a client needs tech support or staff devices require updates, a remote access software makes it possible without an on-site visit. However, different tools offer various capabilities—from advanced monitoring and reporting to support for mobile devices. To find the best fit for specific needs, we examined several solutions for different business use cases.
Based on our evaluation, these are the best remote access platforms suitable for small businesses:
- Zoho Assist: Best overall for small businesses wanting a feature-rich platform at an affordable price
- RemotePC: Better for remote teams needing fast deployment and a simple, scalable solution
- Splashtop: A good fit for small teams and solopreneurs looking for basic functionality and a low price tag
- TeamViewer: Better for companies wanting enterprise features, like integrations and collaboration tools
- ConnectWise Control Support: A suitable solution for businesses needing advanced security and toolkit features
- Chrome Remote Desktop: Our honorable mention solution for solopreneurs and small businesses looking for a free and easy to use solution.
Best Remote Access Software at a Glance
Remote Access Software
Remote File Transfer Size
4.92 out of 5
$29.62 per year
4 out of 5
$5 per user, per month
3.44 out of 5
$50.90 per user, per month
3.32 out of 5
3.21 out of 5
1.81 out of 5
Zoho Assist: Best Overall Remote Access Software
*Plan pricing is based on an annual payment. Monthly billing options are also available.
Zoho Assist is cloud-based remote access software that’s compatible with all Zoho tools. It earns a top spot on our list for its overall value—being an affordable option and offering multi-monitor navigation, concurrent sessions, and recording. Zoho Assist also offers remote support plans with unlimited devices or unattended access plans. It is one of the few options providing a free version for up to five unattended computers.
Its mobile apps for iOS and Android devices rate high for ease of use. Moreover, it’s also platform-independent and provides whiteboarding. However, if you’re looking for the capability to transfer large files or integrate with existing tools, consider TeamViewer.
Zoho Assist Features
- Session scheduling: Use Zoho Assist to schedule remote access sessions across multiple time zones instead of using a separate platform for schedule management.
- Customization: Personalize Zoho Assist by adding your company name, brand logo, or creating a unique customer portal link. Users can also develop custom reports and email templates.
- Unattended remote access: Plans with unattended remote access let you turn on a remote computer with one click. It also allows users to send a session confirmation prompt and use diagnostic tools for scheduled system maintenance.
RemotePC: Best for Fast Deployment & Scalability
*Introductory pricing only. Regular rates apply in the subsequent years.
RemotePC is a platform-independent remote access tool. Users can connect to remote computers without any software installation on remote devices, making it easy to add computers. Moreover, Team and Enterprise let you scale up to 10,000 computers in increments of 100. All plans support remote printing, video conferencing, and remote reboot.
For small businesses looking for integrations, give TeamViewer a try, as it connects with 24 different programs.
- Always-on unattended access: Instantly access any computer by sharing a session code or enable always-on remote access. Once this functionality is configured, you’ll see it on the application’s home screen.
- Advanced features: RemotePC supports the viewing of multiple monitors, recording, printing, and remote rebooting to normal or safe mode.
- Collaboration: Easily transfer files, chat, or use the whiteboard during your remote access sessions. Drag-and-drop functionality makes it easy to move files between devices virtually.
Splashtop: Best for Solopreneurs Wanting a Low-cost Option
Splashtop offers remote access software for several use cases. The Business Access plans work well for accessing employee devices, whereas SOS packages allow remote access to client computers. Splashtop is one of the most affordable options for small businesses, with plans starting at only $5 for one user, per month with an annual payment.
Small businesses that are looking for a free plan should consider Zoho Assist as an alternative. Like Splashtop, Zoho Assist can also access remote devices at zero cost.
- Share your desktop: Provide a web link that any user can open in a web browser without a plugin or download. It broadcasts your Windows desktop in view-only mode to anyone with a link.
- Remote reboot and wake: Use your Splashtop app or web console to reboot a remote computer in safe or normal mode. In addition, you can also remote wake computers located on the same network.
- User management: Set up user access permissions, define roles, and limit device access. Plus, you can invite your team right from the application.
TeamViewer: Best for Integrations & Collaboration
*Billed annually. Mobile device support is offered as an add-on feature.
TeamViewer is a well-known remote access software platform, thanks to its advanced features like device management and in-depth reports. It also provides enterprise-grade features, including integrations with Salesforce and ServiceNow. Plans support up to 10 participants per video meeting and offer unattended access. It’s pricier than other solutions, starting at $50.90 per user, per month, and requires an annual payment.
Other solutions, such as ConnectWise Control Support, also offer integrations, called extensions, at a lower price point.
- Integrations: Enterprise plans offer integrations with 24 applications, such as Azure, Freshmarketer, Atlassian, Zendesk, and Microsoft teams. With TeamViewer APIs, users can integrate features into existing platforms.
- Remote management: TeamViewer users can take a proactive approach to device management. It alerts tech teams to variances in disk health, Windows update status, and memory usage.
- Detailed reports: Advanced reports give an overview of your technicians’ performance, assist with billing, and track incoming and outgoing connections.
ConnectWise Control Support: Best for Advanced Security
*Pricing is based on an annual payment. You can also subscribe to a monthly billing option.
ConnectWise Control Support lets IT teams access mobile phones, tablets, and desktops. It offers call center phone system features, such as voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP), allowing techs to chat with clients while working on a device. All plans support unattended access, and Premium versions provide a reporting dashboard. There’s a free ConnectWise Control Support plan for up to three unattended agents.
If you are looking for a more user-friendly platform, we recommend Zoho Assist. Both platforms offer free plans that smaller teams can take advantage of.
ConnectWise Control Support Features
- Tool kits: Increase productivity with personal and shared tool boxes. A toolbox stores self-contained executables and scripts for easy access via a toolbox menu.
- Security: Role-based user access allows administrators to create explicit permissions, down to functions, features, and machine groups. Plus, comprehensive audit logs and video session logging supports compliance and oversight needs.
- Interruption-free support: Perform maintenance tasks, make command line updates, run scripts, and move files with unattended device support.
Honorable Mention: Chrome Remote Desktop
Google’s Chrome Remote Desktop is a free remote access software for entrepreneurs and small teams. While this software ranked relatively low based on our evaluation criteria, it still is worth noting thanks to its free remote access and ease of use. Also, it’s basic functionality may be enough for some users who just need a quick and easy remote access solution for business.
Employees can use it to access their workspace remotely and receive or provide support. Those needing remote access simply download the browser extension and generate a code. From there, you can enter the code on your screen and work on your customer’s or employee’s device. The free software is a great option for occasional tech support.
Chrome Remote Desktop Features
- Ease of use: Many users are familiar with the Google Chrome browser, so setting up a remote support session isn’t complicated and doesn’t require a software download.
- Security: A one-time code gives your customers peace of mind knowing their device can’t be accessed without their permission.
- Screen sharing: Share your screen to walk a customer or co-worker through a task or take control over theirs to troubleshoot a problem.
How We Evaluated the Best Remote Access Software
There’s a wide selection of remote access software offering basic to advanced functionality with diverse price points. Some tools are device-agnostic, whereas others only work on Windows or Mac operating systems. Furthermore, certain solutions are similar to call center phone systems, allowing companies to troubleshoot with other team members or speak to the remote device user.
With a score of 4.92 out of 5, Zoho Assist is our top pick for remote access software. Along with a free plan, Zoho Assist offers whiteboarding and unattended access. Compared to other options, Zoho Assist is less expensive with an expansive toolset. Plus, business owners have 15 days to test it out before signing up for a plan.
Click on the tabs below to learn how we evaluated the best remote access software platforms:
30% of Overall Score
We reviewed the pricing tiers for each tool, including discounts for annual payments. We also looked at the availability of a free plan and a free trial.
25% of Overall Score
We examined systems offering remote and web access, secure encryption, and unattended access for remote devices.
20% of Overall Score
During our evaluation, we uncovered details about advanced features, including chat and whiteboard. We also considered tools offering web accessibility and platform independence.
25% of Overall Score
We explored the popularity and ease of use to determine an expert score while looking at the overall value for the price and features.
Remote access software supports many small business use cases—from basic troubleshooting to advanced diagnostics. Although many business phone systems offer file sharing, remote access platforms may include unattended remote access and multiplatform support.
Zoho Assist stands out for its low price, feature-rich plans, and a forever free option. Even entry-level packages come with collaboration tools and support multiple monitors. Try out the Zoho Assist free plan to see how it works for individual use.