This article is part of a larger series on Unified Communications.
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) protects sensitive patient data from being disclosed without the patient’s knowledge. Businesses required to protect client privacy and confidentiality can’t use just any video calling or conferencing platform. They need a HIPAA-compliant video conferencing solution that follows strict guidelines and security protocols to ensure patient data stays protected.
To help you find the best options, we reviewed the solutions on the market and found the five best HIPAA-compliant video conferencing systems for healthcare businesses:
- doxy.me: Best overall, and best HIPAA-compliant video conferencing software for complete data privacy protection, ease of use, and affordability
- VSee: Best for healthcare businesses wanting a white-labeled, branded experience for their patients
- Zoom for Healthcare: Best for medical clinics and professionals looking for a reliable, easy-to-use solution that integrates with medical devices
- Medici: Best HIPAA-compliant video conferencing option for on-call, mobile, home care, and work-at-home healthcare practitioners needing to use a mobile device
- GoToMeeting: Best for providers integrating with other GoTo software as part of a unified communications (UC) platform
HIPAA-Compliant Video Conferencing at a Glance
HIPAA-compliant Video Conferencing
$29 per user, per month
$49 per user, per month
$14.99 per user, per month
$25 per user, per month
$12 per user, per month
doxy.me: Best Overall HIPAA-compliant Video Conferencing Solution
*Pricing based on annual subscription
doxy.me and Zoom for Healthcare are the only video conferencing solutions on this list to publicly advertise they meet PIPEDA as well as HIPAA regulations. PIPEDA is the Canadian version of HIPAA, so it’s important for any healthcare business that operates in both the United States and Canada.
doxy.me is an easy-to-use, HIPAA-compliant video conferencing platform with a free-forever plan that delivers surprisingly rich functionality. For example, it includes unlimited video call minutes and sessions, chat messaging, virtual waiting rooms, and patient queues—all bundled under HIPAA compliance without spending a dollar.
On the downside, doxy.me doesn’t offer medical device integrations or HD audio like Zoom for Healthcare. You do get HD video if you upgrade to the Professional plan, which costs $29 per month, but HD audio still isn’t supported. You also won’t be able to send pre- or post-meeting surveys using doxy.me like you can with VSee.
- PIPEDA compliance: If you provide telehealth services to patients located in Canada as well as the U.S., your video conferencing platform needs not only HIPAA but also PIPEDA compliance.
- Simultaneous calls: Depending on your workflow and patient queue, you may need to put patients on hold or let them sit in a virtual waiting room while you process other calls. Simultaneous calling lets you handle multiple calls at once without having to hang up and rejoin.
- Customized branding: Give your video conferencing platform a branded look and feel by adding your logo and personalizing the subdomain.
VSee: Best Solution for Branding Customization
*Pricing based on monthly subscription
VSee provides browser-based, HIPAA-compliant video conferencing, empowering patients to join calls without downloading any software. Your healthcare business can make unlimited 1:1 video telehealth calls on the Free Forever plan, but will need to upgrade to the Basic plan to unlock group calling.
Patients can use VSee to make online appointments, submit intake forms, and even process credit card payments through the software. Medical providers can send text and email patient invites to ensure they join meetings on time.
VSee’s enterprise plan shines for allowing healthcare businesses to create a custom, white-labeled virtual clinic experience. Providers can use VSee Clinic to give patients a branded dashboard where they can schedule appointments, make payments, review their medical history, and communicate with providers.
VSee is the only platform on this list to provide patient follow-up surveys. However, it falls short when it comes to pricing. Most healthcare providers will need to upgrade to the Basic plan, and at $49 per month, it’s almost twice as expensive as doxy.me. Still, it’s much more affordable than Zoom for Healthcare.
- VSee Clinic: White-labeled, branded dashboard patients can use to manage appointments, see their medical history, make payments, and conduct telehealth communications.
- Browser-based video conferencing: Enables your patients to meet in HIPAA-compliant video conferencing rooms without downloading any software.
- Intake forms: Lets patients submit intake and consent forms through the same platform they use for healthcare communications.
Zoom for Healthcare: Best Platform for Reliability & Ease of Use
*Plans and pricing are not the same as traditional Zoom Meeting plans
Zoom for Healthcare is a version of the popular Zoom business video conferencing platform enhanced with added HIPAA (and PIPEDA) compliance and security features. It’s an easy-to-use tool with a simple user interface for providers and patients alike. Unfortunately, Zoom and GoToMeeting are the only platforms on this list that don’t offer free plans.
Zoom for Healthcare is the only solution on this list with medical device integration functionality. Medical device integrations allow you to treat patients virtually with far-end camera control. Zoom is also the only platform offering HD audio in addition to HD video.
Zoom’s general-use plans aren’t HIPAA-compliant, so you need to find the specific plans offered for small clinics and large enterprises. However, it’s difficult to navigate the website to find the pricing plans, and Zoom for Healthcare can get expensive. For example, if you need more than 10 licenses, it will cost at least $200 per month. For more affordable video conferencing solutions, we recommend doxy.me and GoToMeeting.
Zoom for Healthcare Features
- Medical device integrations: Treat patients virtually with high-end medical devices that integrate with Zoom for Healthcare’s HIPAA-compliant video conferencing software.
- HD audio: HD video is a must-have, but HD audio often gets forgotten. Zoom for Healthcare makes this a priority, including both to ensure your telehealth calls are high quality.
- Enhanced collaboration: Screen share and annotate with other specialists in real time or make it possible for patients to see your notes.
Medici: Best HIPAA-compliant Solution for Mobile Practitioners
*Pricing based on monthly subscription
Rather than a desktop-based tool, Medici is a mobile app that empowers healthcare professionals to work from mobile devices. Medici is an essential HIPAA-compliant telehealth platform for on-call and on-the-go doctors, mobile and home healthcare providers, and for medical professionals conducting virtual appointments from home in today’s work-from-anywhere environment.
While Medici offers a free plan, it doesn’t include video conferencing. However, Medici’s $25 per month Treat plan is the cheapest paid subscription on this list, making it an affordable HIPAA-compliant video conferencing platform for healthcare businesses of all sizes.
Unfortunately, Medici falls short when it comes to features. There’s no desktop version and the platform doesn’t support HD audio, patient surveys, or medical device integrations. If you need those features, we recommend looking at VSee or Zoom for Healthcare.
- Mobile app: Medici’s mobile app makes it easy for doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals to work from anywhere at any time.
- Automated patient onboarding: Set up workflows to save time with automated new patient onboarding tools.
- Real-time chat translation: Tap to translate your messages to more than 40 languages in real time to provide care and break down communication barriers.
GoToMeeting: Best HIPAA-compliant Video Platform for Unified Communications
*GoToMeeting charges on a per-organizer basis
GoToMeeting isn’t the most robust HIPAA-compliant video conferencing solution on this list, but GoToMeeting’s paid plans are undeniably the most affordable. While there is no free plan, the entry-level Professional plan costs only $12 per organizer, per month.
If you only need one or two organizers, GoToMeeting is the most cost-effective solution. If you’d rather experiment with a free plan before using a video conferencing solution, we suggest trying doxy.me or VSee.
While GoToMeeting itself doesn’t offer extensive communication options, it integrates smoothly with GoTo Connect, a leading business phone system, creating a unified communications solution. Sync these software solutions together for access to email, SMS texting, phone calling, faxing, messaging, and file sharing.
- Smart assistant: Machine learning identifies highlights and action items from your meetings.
- Automated meeting transcriptions: Automatically transcribes meetings to make content easier to search or for written meeting documentation.
- Robust integrations: Integrate GoToMeeting with Google, Epic, Outlook, Slack, and more to streamline communication and productivity workflows.
How We Evaluated the Best HIPAA-compliant Video Conferencing Solutions
Businesses in the healthcare industry are required to protect patient data from unauthorized disclosure. In addition to protecting patient files, they must use HIPAA-compliant communication tools, from their business phone system to their video conferencing and calling tools. To find the best HIPAA-compliant video conferencing solutions, we started with HIPAA-certified platforms.
We narrowed our list down to the best by looking at pricing, general and advanced features, and product reviews. We wanted to find software solutions that provide an excellent user experience while also offering healthcare-specific functionality like medical device integrations, patient waiting rooms, and post-visit surveys.
Based on our research, doxy.me is the best HIPAA-compliant video conferencing solution for healthcare providers. It provides the most comprehensive compliance, meeting not only HIPAA requirements, but also those of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), and Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
doxy.me is easy to use, affordable, and has a free-forever, feature-rich plan that gives healthcare providers functionality like virtual patient waiting rooms, branding, simultaneous calls, and both email and text communication. Sign up for a free account to try doxy.me with no long-term or financial commitment.
Learn more about how we evaluated the best HIPAA-compliant video conferencing solutions by clicking on the tabs below:
25% of Overall Score
While HIPAA compliance is a must for businesses in the healthcare industry, video conferencing solutions still don’t have to break the budget. We checked platforms offering free plans and how much functionality the free plans provide. We analyzed pricing of subscription tiers to see which solutions include the most features for the least amount.
25% of Overall Score
Beyond HIPAA compliance, the best video conferencing software provides features that improve call quality and make access easier for you (and your patients). We evaluated platforms to see which offer high-definition (HD) audio, HD video, and a desktop app. We also looked through the pricing tiers to see whether platforms lock HIPAA compliance beyond more expensive packages.
25% of Overall Score
Beyond the basics, advanced features improve workflows and drive better patient experiences. We compared platforms to see which offer patient surveys, PIPEDA compliance, medical device integrations, and patient waiting rooms. Advanced features (like medical device integrations) could also be a make-or-break factor for which platform is right for your business.
25% of Overall Score
After looking through all the quantitative factors, we tried the software for ourselves to test functionality, ease of use, and overall first impressions. We also looked at popular review sites to learn from other firsthand users how much they like, dislike, and use the different video conferencing products.
HIPAA doesn’t just apply to protecting patient files. It extends into phone calls, emails, text messages, telehealth, and video conferencing. Negligence leads to expensive and damaging data breaches that can be avoided with the right security protocols. This makes HIPAA compliance non-negotiable for healthcare businesses and professionals in need of a video conferencing solution.
doxy.me is our top pick as the best HIPAA-compliant video conferencing platform. As an added bonus, it also complies with GDPR, PIPEDA, and PHIPA regulations. Its paid plans are some of the most affordable on our list, and their platform is both function-rich and incredibly easy to use, even on the free version. Try it yourself with doxy.me’s free-forever plan.